Artykuły Recenzje Harmonijkowe Bitwy
Szukaj Użytkownicy Grupy
Odpowiedz do tematu
Autor
Wiadomość
+adamg53

Otrzymał 82 punkt(ów)
Wysłany: 2012-02-13, 18:19    Jak rozpoznać datę produkcji wkładki shura

Ciekawy jestem, czy jest ktoś jeszcze prócz mnie co draży ten temat? Co oznaczają te literki i cyfry w opisie wkładek? Ciekawie to wygląda i zależy od bardzo wielu rzeczy.
Dodaj punkt autorowi tego posta

Młynek 

Otrzymał 68 punkt(ów)
Wysłany: 2012-02-13, 18:56    Odp: Jak rozpoznać datę produkcji wkładki shura

Wszystko znajdziesz na stronie www.greenbulletmics.com - kopalnia wiedzy na temat majków :) A, zresztą, co mi tam, wkopiuję. Acta jeszcze w życie nie weszło, więc może nie pójdę siedzieć...

Dating the Elements
The 3 Digit Code
One of the question’s I get the most is "how can I tell when my mic was made"? Well, it's really not documented anywhere but I have been able to come up with some information. From 1949 and up to 1951, the black labeled CR's had an obvious date stamped on them, for example,10-49, or 12-50. I believe it was in 1951 that Shure began using a 3 digit date code. From looking at the elements over the years of collecting and noting the different changes in the mic shell tags, the dates on paperwork that came with some mics, and even receipt’s still in the boxes of mic’s I bought, I believe that the 3 digit date code works like this.
The first digit is the year of manufacture, and the last two digits are the week of the year that they were made. For example 322 would be the 22'nd week of 1953, and 943 would be the 43'd week of 1959, or, October 1959. This type of date code system was used up to December of 1960 when Shure began to use the 2 digit date code system. You will see that the very first CM elements had this type of date code on them.
I haven't seen a black labeled CR with a date code that began with a 4, but as far as I know, they were used up until late January or early February 1954. I have seen very many white labeled CR's with date codes that begin with a 4, as well as a few white labeled CR's with the phenolic bobbin construction with date codes that begin with 4. The few that I've owned had very close date codes in early 1954. I do also have a CM element with the same wiring construction as the CR's that has a date code of 827, which means that it was about this time (July 1958), that the elements began being labeled as Controlled Magnetic Transducers. This element does not have the disc on the diaphram as seen on all CR elements, but it does have the different wiring configuration that all the CR's have. I have had many regular CM elements with the date code beginning with 9, so I guess it's a safe assumption that the name change happened at about that time. I don't think I've had any white labeled CR's with a date code beginning with an 8, but I do have some with a 7 as the first number of the date code. So I guess it's safe to say that the CR's fizzled out sometime in early 1958.

The 2 Letter Code
In January 1961, Shure began to use a two letter date code system. The letters ran alphabetically beginning with the letter A as 1961. The first letter of the two designates the year the element was made, and the second letter designated the month, with A being January and running alphabetically down to December with the letter L being December. The tricky part of this code system is that it went for 20 years using the first 20 letters of the alphabet. So, the letter A could be either 1961, or, 1981. Or for instance, J could be 1971, or, 1991. In this case it wouldn't be too hard to figure out which year it was by looking to see where it was made. If it says Mexico, I think you can figure it out that it was made in 1991.
Some elements may have you guessing though, like the ones that may have been made in the late 60's or, possibly 80's. There is a way to get some hints though. On the early 60's elements, as you'll also see on the white labeled CR's, the date codes were stamped in small letters with red ink, like the small numbers on the later white label CR's. Also, the labels themselves are different on the early 60's elements than they are on the elements made in the 70's and 80's. The early labels were made from a dull looking cloth like material. You could actually see the threads on these labels that had a dull look to them, kind of resembling a piece of canvas. Sometimes, a thread would even be frayed on the edges.
Sometime in the 70's, they started using labels that had a slightly glossy look to them, and the lettering was now being stamped with larger letters as compared to the early small ones. There is an obvious difference in appearance of the cloth like labels as compared to the glossy type. How long were the cloth like labels used? I don't know for sure, but if your element has this type of label, it's probably a safe bet to say it's a 60's element. It's at least safe to say that it will be the earlier of the dates if you're not sure.
I believe that Shure produced high impedance elements through the 80's here in the US, but they were not the elements being used in the green bullet mics. They were being used in the model 444 desk stand mic’s, and similar mic’s made for General Electric and other companies. A lot of these elements are being found in harp mic’s these days and they sound just as good as the older ones. Most of these elements are model 99A86, which is the same model used in the very first 520's. Most of the 520D green bullets made after the 70's were made in Mexico. All 520D's had controlled magnetic elements with a model # of 99S556, even the limited number of 520D's that were made in the US, but those models clearly had labels that said “Made in the USA”, and green tags on the mic shell.
The Mexican 520D's have cheap paper labels on the elements that rip easily, some even had perforated lines where they would fold over the edge of the element assembly. They all clearly state "Assembled in Mexico", so dating these mics is not a problem. Whatever year the letter designates with this type label, it's likely a mid 80's to 90's date code.

+adamg53

Otrzymał 82 punkt(ów)
Wysłany: 2012-02-13, 20:11    Odp: Jak rozpoznać datę produkcji wkładki shura

Dzięki, tą stronę znam i rozgyzam to jak zaznaczyłem wcześniej, jest tu tak dużo mozlowości z tymi datami, że nieraz podobno rozmowy z pracownikami którzy brali udział w produkcji moga coś rozjaśnić, dużo trzeba wiedzieć i sledzić gdzie zostały wyprodukowane, przynajmniej ja tak myślę.
Dodaj punkt autorowi tego posta

Odpowiedz do tematu